Tuesday, September 20, 2005

I Am Not an Illiterate!!

I Am Not an Illiterate!!

The Day before Ananth Chaturdashi.
Venue: My uncle’s place
Occasion: Ganpathi Hom
Time: Around 10Am

All my aunts, cousins joined in for the occasion. My uncle still had the Ganapati idol at home and had planned to immerse it on Ananth Chaturdashi. Hom had already started when we stepped in. Everybody busy watching the hom and seemed they were praying too. After an hour, it was time to disperse after the pooja was over. Suddenly there was increase in the pitch of voice exchanging pleasantries, sharing the experiences, facts and gossiping about the stuff they really enjoy (that is to discuss about who did what and was it right or wrong, how somebody should have done something, why did someone do something like that…list goes on….).

After a while they seem to have got bored of talking about the same thing over and over about the same. After lot of discussion (rather gossip), it was time to prepare lunch. While preparing lunch they discovered new topics to discuss, for one small point they excavated lot of other topics related to the root topic. I met my cousin after a long time, we were busy discussing our own topics and we were also wondering if they (my aunts) all would have been in the research field, lot of things could have been unearthed related to one particular topic. They were discussing as though they were about to write a thesis. Arguing and establishing their own understanding about the point they were making.
Finally, they all came to terms. Cooking was done. The food prepared was kept before God and the final pooja was to be done.

It was around 4.30 pm, the pooja started. My cousin is a schoolteacher and she is very proud of being one. She always wanted to be an amateur teacher. We share the same birth year and month. The pooja was going on and were asked to recite any Ganesh mantra. I knew only one, which I used to recite since my school days. I recited that and told them that is all I know. My cousin was reciting a whole bunch of songs about Ganeshji. She was doing really well. After a while, a spark of thought hit my mind as though Ganeshji knocked my head and said “Fool, you are not an illiterate.” After that moment there was an overwhelming joy in me. For the first time I realized I am not an illiterate. I should have made an effort to learn some of Ganpathi mantras’. Then I promised God that the next time (next Ganesh Chaturthi), I would learn some new Ganesh mantra and recite it.

5 comments:

khelnayak said...

hey rathana, come on! I dont know if learning few mantras and reciting them makes one feel literate. Sorry if i am being rude.

White Forest said...

Hey its not about learnign mantras and reciting them, its about making an effort to learn something new.

The point waht I was trying to make is that we get some much addicted to the routine stuff that we sometimes dont even make an effort to learn something new.

Same holds with the way the ppl think or behave, I am just representing human thinking! I dont say that it is same with everyone, But I can say its true with most of the ppl in india.

The need to learn something new every now and then and not to carry on with the ages old thinking. That is all I wanted to say.

Well, that was supposed to be a short story but...............

blackphoenix said...

hey, "The need to learn something new every now and then and not to carry on with the ages old thinking.".... this line totally echoes my own thoughts.... i've added u in yim... add me back.... was surprised 2 read it here in ur blog.... keep up the gud work....

Guruprasad Kini (Guru) said...

Hmmm...yeah. Family gatherings are always full of good anecdotes. As for the mantras, well I could never beyond the basic Gayatri Mantra. :(
Good blog, very slice-of-life. Keep it going. Got the address from Orkut (via the AAARGH community).
Good luck with your Mantra learning. :) Cheers

The Visitor said...

Hey philosopher - good post.